Charge for the Private Association Stipend Committee
The charge of the committee is to provide the Board of Selectmen with policy recommendations for public stipends to private associations, including chartered beach associations who have received stipends since the 1920’s. The committee should:
- Research historical information and data on stipends to any and all private associations, particularly Beach Associations
- Research other municipalities to understand how they handle stipends, if any
- Make every effort to understand budgets and responsibilities of private associations through review of voluntarily supplied budgets, including historical data
- Determine if any of the budget items should be the responsibility of the town in any private associations.
- Determine if public stipends should require an accounting of use from the private associations
- Assessing the impact of historical stipends on the municipal budget and mill rate
- Other tasks deemed appropriate and necessary by the Board of Selectmen that may come up through research on this committee
Consideration should be given to the legal implications, if any, of changes to the stipends historically budgeted for chartered beach associations and to the private beach associations who have never been budgeted to receive stipends.
The committee must meet all FOI requirements with respect to the posting of agendas and minutes. The committee should provide regular updates to the Board of Selectmen and must submit a final recommendation to the Board of Selectmen by Nov. 1, 2014.