Skip Navigation

This table is used for column layout.
Veteran Services
Contact TypeContact Information
Old Lyme Memorial Town Hall
52 Lyme Street
Old Lyme, CT 06371
No office hours, contact Tony Vallombroso
Veterans Day 2011
Additional Links:
Link to PageLink to PageLink to Page
This section contains additional resources for Veterans that are offered by non-government agencies or organizations. Use caution if there is a fee for these services.
Purpose: The requirement for each city and town in Connecticut to have a Veteran Services Contact (VSC) was enacted by law on October 1, 2013. The Town of Old Lyme appointed a VSC to ensure that our Veterans are exposed to the full array of services available to them. Although this page is designed to be utilized as a self-help resource, your VSC is available by e-mail at anytime. Click on any of the links shown to access or download that particular resource.

Who is a Veteran? To get started we should understand who our Veterans are and how benefits are made available to them. A Veteran is defined as any person who has served in the active U.S. Military, but there are further distinctions that provide benefits based on where and when the Veteran may have served. A war veteran is any service member that was ordered to a foreign soil or waters to participate in a direct support activity against an enemy. A combat veteran is any service member that experienced any level of hostility for any duration resulting from offensive, defensive or friendly fire military action involving a real or perceived enemy in any foreign theatre. Veteran’s benefits are based on Congressional regulations determined by a Veteran’s Honorable Discharge or discharge under Honorable Conditions. Military retirees who have served for at least 20 years in a National Guard or Reserve Component, or received a medical discharge may also be considered Veterans in Connecticut. Most retirees are usually eligible for supplementary federal benefits, privileges and access on military installations, but not necessarily all VA services as regulated by Congress. If you are unsure, contact the VSC.

Veteran Services Organizations (VSO):

There are thousands of individual VSOs available to assist Veterans, too many to list here. Instead of trying to list each one separately, click on one of the following links to find the one most suited to your inquiry or need.

The VSOs listed below are the most popular and informative:

United States Department of Veterans Affairs
555 Willard Avenue, Bldg 2E
Newington, Connecticut 06111

287 West Street
Rocky Hill, Connecticut 06067

Connecticut Military Support Program
[Free and Confidential counseling for military and their families; Crisis intervention; Marriage / Family / Stress / Anxiety]

Veterans Information Line
1-866-9CT-VETS (1-866-928-8387)

Connecticut Veterans Website
[Resources and Opportunities include – Education, Employment and Training, Healthcare, Housing, Tax Supports, Motor Vehicle Services, National Guard and State Jobs]

If you are in danger of losing your home or are homeless, call 1-877-424-3838 or

American Legion, Post 41
52 Lyme Street
Old Lyme, Connecticut 06371

Veterans of Foreign Wars, Post 1467
P.O. Box 192
Old Lyme, Connecticut 06371
Veterans needing VFW temporary assistance may be reached by contacting one of the following email addresses and telephone numbers: 
John Donnelly,  Adjutant,  860-964-0876
Ed Shyloski, Commander, [Link]  860-917-7152
Jack Fieldler, Veteran Services Officer,  860-510-9291

Active Military, Reserves and National Guard Services:

Army National Guard
Navy Reserve
Air National Guard
Air Force Reserve
Marine Corps
Marine Corps Reserve
Coast Guard Reserve


Available Services and Benefits to Connecticut Veterans (hyperlinks)

Municipal Property Tax Exemptions

Education Benefits, Tuition Waiver

Soldiers, Sailors and Marines Fund

Employment Benefits

DMV Registration and License Fee Waiver

Connecticut Wartime Service Medal

Burial in State Veterans Cemetery

Application for Burial Benefits

Application for DMV ID Flag

Vet Center Counseling and Services

Frequently Asked Questions:

How can I get a copy of my DD Form 214 Discharge?

Other Veteran Services

52 Lyme St, Old Lyme, CT 06371  (860) 434-1605

Town Hall Hours  Monday - Friday: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM